Saturday, July 30, 2011

Why Jerez de la Frontera?

Here we are in southern Spain, in the city of Jerez de la Frontera, shooting a short independent film called "Domino:  caught in the crisis," and having fun doing it.

Octagonal tower in the Alcazar, the moorish fortress in Jerez.

Ok, so there's plenty of crisis in southern Spain...I'm referring here to the economic crisis.  But there's also plenty of crisis in California, where I live when I'm not in Spain.  So why am I shooting here?

A casualty of the economic crisis.


Well, the idea came to me here.  The setting that came into my head when I visualized it was the setting I see here.  And elements of the crisis here are more exaggerated here than in California.  Exaggeration (when based on reality) is good for dramatic impact.  So Spain it is.

One of the elements that makes this story perfect for Jerez is the importance in Spanish culture of large weddings.  (One subplot of the story line has to do with the upcoming wedding of our hero's second son.)  Some of the settings that seemed perfect are the traditional local bars here.  (A bar is southern Spain is more like a café in California--NOT a place for heavy drinking and NOT reserved for men sitting at the counter, staring into their glasses of whiskey.)

Some crew members having a well-deserved lunch break in a local bar.

Another excellent reason for shooting here is I have good friends here who are great actors.  And dominoes (remember the "domino effect") is something that a lot of people play here in the bars.

Bottom line:  here we are in Jerez, shooting a short independent film called "Domino:  caught in the crisis."  And having fun doing. it.

NEXT BLOG:  Part 1 of  an interview with our lead actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment