Sunday, August 7, 2011

The actors, part 1B--lead actor, Antonio de la Malena

[Antonio de la Malena, is the actor who plays our lead character, Luis, in our short independent film, "Domino:  caught in the crisis."  Here, he answers our last four interview questions.  For the first part of this interview, SEE previous blog.]

Eve A. Ma:  What is your career as an actor for film?  What are some of your favorite movies?

Antonio de la Malena:  Although this is the first time I've acted for film, I relished the opportunity to expand my experience performing for a public audience.  Since I spend most of my life acting on stage as a cantaor, it seemed to me a very natural step to go from there to portraying a character in a movie.

In the "Domino" scene where his character, Luis, talks with his wife on a cell phone.

My favorite movies are "Life is Good," "the Pianist," Casablanca" and "Amelie."   All of these deal with serious themes, as does "Domino."  One of the things I like best about "the Pianist" and "Amelie," is the musical score, and the importance of music.  In addition, all four films show that life can be very unjust but also is sometimes very good and passionate.*

Eve A. Ma:  What did you enjoy most about playing this part?

Antonio de al Malena:  Portraying his real character and entering into his emotional life.

Eve A. Ma:  What was hardest for you to do in acting out this role?

Antonio de la Malena:  Making my portrayal completely natural and real, so that it will move the audience.  For example, I don't like the idea of using onions to make me cry.  If I cry, it has to be real tears.  For this to happen, I have to enter completely into the character. I am only interested in acting where the story seems believable to me and the character is someone I can truly identify with.  [NOTE:  When Antonio de la Malena sings, he often cries if the song is serious and sad.]

Relaxing on the set between shots.  photo:  Ana Alcaraz Studios

Eve A. Ma:  What did you think of the script, and the theme of "Domino?"

Antonio de la Malena:  "Domino" is a way of seeing the reality of what is happening right now.  It's a way of showing how a man who could be the happiest person in the world is instead controlled and manipulated by a social system that only understands what most benefits the people in power.

*[NOTE:  "Life is Beautiful" is an Italian film starring Roberto Begnini, Nicoletta Braschi and Georgio Cantarini and directed by Roberto Begnini.   "The Pianist" is a French-German film starring Adrien Brody and directed by Roman Polansnki.  "Casablanca" is an American film starring Humphrey Bogart and In grid Bergman and directed by Michael Curtiz,  while "Amelie" is a French film starring Audrey Tautou and directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.]

The NEXT blog will be about shooting two street scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment