Saturday, August 27, 2011

The actors, part 2B--supporting actor Nicolas Montoya

This is a continuation of the interview with supporting actor Nicolas Montoya, who plays Miguel the banker in "Domino."

Interviewer (Eve A. Ma):  What are your favorite films?


Nicolas Montoya:  I really like the director Fass Binder and "las Cerezas en Flor" of Doris Dorrie, plus I like the films of Pedro Almodovar and a north American film whose name in Spanish is "la Miel."  I´m very fond of surrealist and narrative film.   [NOTE:  I was unable to identify the movie "la Miel." ED]


Interviewer:  What did you like best about the part you played in "Domino?"  


Nicolas Montoya: That my character embodied all of the coldness and off-putting responses that today´s society presents to a person, an individual, who is living through a difficult time both emotionally and in his family and personal life.  

Nicolas Montoya (right) playing the banker;  with our cameraman.


Interviewer:  What was the hardest part for you in your portrayal of your character?


Nicolas Montoya:  The scenes were simple and straightforwards.  But since I´m a friend of Antonio de la Malena who plays the lead role, it was hard for me to create a situation in which the two of us saw each other not as friends, but on my part as an unscrupulous banker who is willing to do great damage to the character of Luis (played by Antonio).  In addition, it was a little difficult for me to create the character of a banker who is cold and dry in his overly professional manner, and full of the falsehoods of this type of business. 

Interviewer:  What do you think of the script and the concept of "Domino?"   


Nicolas Montoya (in the suit) as the banker, with Antonio de la Malena (in the coat) as Luis.
Nicolas Montoya: The script gives a very realistic portrayal of what is happening now in Spain, in Andalucia.  The script-writing is technically very professional and the concept is good but I didn´t get a vision of the whole from the part I was given, since I was only given the scenes in which I had a part and not the entire script. 

[NOTE that the script writer didn't remember she'd only given him part of the script, and has subsequently sent him the entire thing.]


OUR NEXT BLOG will be about shooting in southern Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment